The County
Clinch County is the 3rd largest county land-wise in the state, boasting 809.29 square miles. The county was created by state legislature on February 4, 1850 and signed into law by Governor George W. Towns on February 14, 1850.

Clinch was the 94th county to be formed in Georgia, and was created from portions of Ware and Lowndes counties. It was named in honor of General Duncan L. Clinch, a brigadier general, who distinguished himself in the War of 1812.

Clinch County's first county seat was named Polk in honor of President James K. Polk. The name was later changed to Magnolia on January 15, 1852. Magnolia was located just southwest of the present-day Homerville. The Atlantic and Gulf Railroad was built through Clinch County in 1859. One of the railroad depots - Station No 11 - was built near the residence of Homerville's founder, Dr. John Homer Mattox, who settled there in 1853. In 1860, 275 citizens petitioned the state to move the county seat from Magnolia to Station No 11. On February 15, 1869, the state legislature incorporated Homerville, the new name of the county seat.

The Clinch County Courthouse was built in 1896. In 2001, a $200,000 renovation project was completed on the historic landmark.

Community Information